From: "Bastian, Hilda (NIH/NLM/NCBI) [C]"
Date: Tuesday, February 16, 2016 at 1:09 PM
To: Wiki Medicine discussion, Osama Khalid
Subject: Re: [Wiki-Medicine] Criteria to evaluate medical article importance?

G’day!

I agree with Lane about this not being clear– there’s little overlap between
places, other than a relatively small number of predictable things (such as
diseases like asthma, cancer, and diabetes). I wrote a paper after working on
this a lot, in terms of criteria for priorities from a consumer point of view:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22004776

I wouldn’t use MedlinePlus coverage as a starting point – it draws on a base
that itself is skewed against certain subjects by nature of the focus of the
sources (e.g. not strong on women’s health).

The point-of-care resource for doctors, UpToDate, is one that is widely used by
doctors, and its coverage is regarded by doctors as one of its strengths – but
I haven’t analyzed that one against others:

http://www.uptodate.com/contents/search

A really important one is the list of topics that Google develops knowledge
panels with Mayo Clinic, as this would be based on the most searched-for
diseases. I thought there was a public way to get that list, but I can’t see it
at the moment.

NHS Choices is another list that’s broadly based on real-world from patients’
point of view:

http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Pages/hub.aspx

Hilda