In a twist of irony, this issue was actually caused by a patch I wrote
<https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/#/c/207727/> to fix an annoying little bug
<https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T96944> in the app where the namespace
of some pages was being set to null when they were saved to the user's
storage.

You can see in the changes I made to the persistence helper
<https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/#/c/207727/3/wikipedia/src/main/java/org/wikipedia/history/HistoryEntryPersistenceHelper.java>
that I took the column that was the timestamp and used it for the namespace
instead. This was my first change to the database layer of the app, and I
didn't quite realise the ramifications of doing what I did. Since Dmitry's
fix <https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/#/c/228766/> noted that it was silly to
ever use column indices rather than looking them up by name, I don't feel
*too* bad about it.. ;-)

99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs, take one down, patch it around,
127 little bugs in the code.

Dan

On 2 August 2015 at 17:14, Oliver Keyes <oke...@wikimedia.org> wrote:

> Hey all,
>
> This Friday, Trey Jones (our awesome Relevance Engineer) and I spent
> some time playing detective with the sampled request logs and a list
> of the most common queries resulting in zero results. We found a lot
> of interesting things. In particular:
>
> 1. A common pattern in which queries, for no particular reason, had a
> UNIX timestamp preceding them (example: "1436336857594:2019 FIFA
> Women's World Cup"). This is responsible, on its own, for 3% of zero
> results queries - and it appears to be caused by the Wikimedia Apps.
> 2. A search for strings in quotes followed by 'film' (example:
> "\"Seventh Son\" film"). This is caused by a media player and is
> responsible for around 0.5% of zero results queries.
> 3. A search for "quot" strings (example: " quot James Tree quot").
> This is from the National Library of Australia and is again around
> 0.5% of zero results queries.
> 4. A search for a page title and the name of a page that appears as a
> link within that page (example: "\"2C-T-19\" AND \"JWH-081\""). This
> is about 6% of queries and appears to come from a German IP address.
> We're unaware of who this person is or what they're trying, so if
> anyone knows what on earth this is, we'd appreciate the hint ;).
>
> https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T107724 is a card representing the
> need to reach out to these people, where possible (obviously this will
> be easier for the app team than anyone else ;p). If we can get all of
> these solved for, we could drop the zero results rate for full text by
> about 10% Obviously cutting /all/ of it out is improbable, but we're
> hopeful that we can drop this number and get a better understanding of
> what third-party users are trying to achieve, to boot.
>
> --
> Oliver Keyes
> Count Logula
> Wikimedia Foundation
>
> _______________________________________________
> Wikimedia-search mailing list
> Wikimedia-search@lists.wikimedia.org
> https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-search
>



-- 
Dan Garry
Lead Product Manager, Discovery
Wikimedia Foundation
_______________________________________________
Wikimedia-search mailing list
Wikimedia-search@lists.wikimedia.org
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-search

Reply via email to