Opening communication between the Australian Institutions and wiki world is
what GLAM is for, at the extreme if such an issue was to arise with an
Australian Institution we would be able to resolve the concerns without
legal threats.  GLAM is about us working together and understand each others
needs and rights so that such an issue should never arise, to encourage this
we also need more Wiki people to attend, thanks to some sponsors Wikimedia
Australia has just announced an offer bursaries to assist people in
attending.

GLAM isnt a soapbox in the middle of Hyde Park for people to preach US law
to UK institutions and such soapboxing while occassionally necessary it isnt
productive when everybody is there to better understand each others needs.
I'd also note the many UK Institutions have always maintained that the US
Bridgeman v. Corel decision isnt reasonable and that if one wishes to see
these works they should do so at the institution that owns them. Also if one
wishes to display them outside the institution given the expenses involve in
obtaining and preserving these works they should have the right to some form
of compensation.

2009/7/11 private musings <thepmacco...@gmail.com>

> well just for the record, I hope we can do better than referring to an
> action clearly intended (however misguided) to protect the work of a
> rather venerable cultural institution as 'batshit insane' :-) - I
> rather think it runs the risk of making us seem a bit radical and
> unfriendly - not my perception of what GLAM is all about.
>
> This bit though "So the thing is really: how to convince museums and
> galleries to open
> up, use us for free publicity and spreading their good name"  -
> absolutely spot on... :-)
>
> now play nice.
>
> best,
>
> Peter,
> PM.
>
> On 7/11/09, David Gerard <dger...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On 11/07/2009, private musings <thepmacco...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >> This is rather important + serious stuff which relates to the 'GLAM'
> >> sector
> >> - hopefully we'll be leading the way in ensuring good communication may
> >> help
> >> resolve problems like this;
> >> (basically a Commons user has received a legal letter relating to
> uploads
> >> of
> >> photographs of gallery items)
> >> http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Dcoetzee/NPG_legal_threat,
> >

> > It doesn't help that the NPG's actions (a UK org threatening a US
> > citizen with legal action over actions that are unambiguously not a
> > copyright violation of any sort in US law) are, how do I put this,
> > FRANKLY INSANE.
> >
> > I made a quick summary blog post:
> > http://davidgerard.co.uk/notes/2009/07/11/sue-and-be-damned/
> >
> > Note that another notable UK museum, the V&A, took the opposite tack:
> > open their collections, spread their name and pictures of their
> > exhibits, reap the publicity. (The V&A is fantastic, and no photo can
> > substitute for seeing the stuff in real life.)
> >
> > So the thing is really: how to convince museums and galleries to open
> > up, use us for free publicity and spreading their good name ... and
> > not act batshit insane like the NPG appears to be.
> >

> > - d.

GN.
http://gnangarra.redbubble.com/