I think the post at
http://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/wikimediaau-l/2009-December/002764.htmlencapsulates
quite well the sort of challenges that chapter websites face
which, for example, Wikipedia does not. The fact of legal registration makes
anarchy (even structured anarchy) an undesirable option and would mean we
are not acting in the best interests of our members who have bothered to
commit to and support the chapter's aims financially and expect the chapter
to act responsibly.

There is no conflict between the Foundation's aims and our approach; there
is, however, a conflict between what I might call "Wikiphilosophy" and the
requirements of running a chapter. Imagine the chapter accounts being
determined by consensus! Applying one model to a situation other than for
what it was intended is usually a recipe for disaster.

I would also note based on the discussions and on earlier committee
deliberations that there's no serious likelihood of the Australian chapter
changing its current policy on this at this time. It's worth highlighting
that one does not need to be a member to contribute to wikimediaau-l,
collaborate in person or virtually on projects or attend city-based meetups
(other than the AGM).

cheers
Andrew