On Sat, 12 Dec 2009 17:29:13 +0800
Andrew <orderinchao...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I think the post at
> http://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/wikimediaau-l/2009-December/002764.html
encapsulates
> quite well the sort of challenges that chapter websites face
> which, for example, Wikipedia does not. The fact of legal
> registration makes anarchy (even structured anarchy) an undesirable

How much worse will the anarchy be with non-members rather then
members? What form will this 'bad' anarchy take?

> option and would mean we are not acting in the best interests of our
> members who have bothered to commit to and support the chapter's aims
> financially and expect the chapter to act responsibly.

Pardon? Don't assume the only people giving their time or money[1] to
WMAU are members - its wrong, and likely to become increasingly wrong if
this organisation goes anyware.

> I would also note based on the discussions and on earlier committee
> deliberations that there's no serious likelihood of the Australian
> chapter changing its current policy on this at this time. It's worth
> highlighting that one does not need to be a member to contribute to
> wikimediaau-l, collaborate in person or virtually on projects or
> attend city-based meetups (other than the AGM).
>
> cheers
> Andrew

[1] Recent thread, Subject: [Wikimediaau-l] Member / non-member

--
Karl Goetz, (Kamping_Kaiser / VK5FOSS)
http://www.kgoetz.id.au