Although the census data is CC-BY, I suspect the reason they want you to
register and login to access it from their website is so they can track what
people are downloading. This is the first time it's been freely available on
the web and I am guessing that they are expected to report on what's being
accessed and by whom (individuals vs companies, which state, within or
beyond Australia) which needs you to login. Knowing interest levels in the
different data sets what might alter the priorities on the analysis they do
with the census data.

Toby, re your visualisations, they are very effective - far more so than the
spreadsheets themselves! If you are willing to share your scripts, maybe we
could put them on the WMAU website. It would be nice to have a "toolkit"
section for working with Australian datasets like the census.

Kerry

  _____