Aloha from Hawaii!

I'm at an Internet cafe so must be brief.
I too would like to see us 'weigh in' on the matter of the copyright review
and as some of you may recall I made a submission to the initial
round myself (specifically relating to faithful reproductions of 2D PD
artworks).

I would be very happy to see WMAu to send in a 'we support what the ADA
said' submission.

Tell me if I can help in this matter because Trish is based at the National
Library and I see her almost daily.

-Liam

On Tuesday, 12 November 2013, Kimberlee Weatherall wrote:

>  Hi guys,
>

> Great! No doubt you’re in touch with Trish at the ADA, but I’ve forwarded
> this on to her as well for coordination purposes.
>

> Kim
>

> *KIMBERLEE WEATHERALL* | Associate Professor
> Faculty of Law
>
> * THE UNIVERSITY OF SYDNEY*
> *T *+61 2 9351 0478  | *F* +61 2 9351 0200  | *M* +61 403 762 544
>

> *From:* wikimediaau-l-boun...@lists.wikimedia.org <javascript:_e({},
> 'cvml', 'wikimediaau-l-boun...@lists.wikimedia.org');> [mailto:
> wikimediaau-l-boun...@lists.wikimedia.org <javascript:_e({}, 'cvml',
> 'wikimediaau-l-boun...@lists.wikimedia.org');>] *On Behalf Of *Tony Souter
> *Sent:* Tuesday, 12 November 2013 10:14 PM
> *To:* Wikimedia Australia Chapter
> *Subject:* Re: [Wikimediaau-l] Interesting story in today's press
>

> Producing a position paper that the ADA can use would be one of the most
> significant things the chapter ever did. Assistance from other Wikimedians
> might be forthcoming if messages are posted (by the committee) on mailing
> lists asking for advice after a draft is written.
>

> Some of Australia's copyright restrictions are ridiculous and
> unsustainable.
>

> Please think of what the strategy would be. At a guess, analysing any ADA
> proposal, setting out how draconian some aspects of Australian copyright
> law are compared with those in the US (e.g. no fair use), and organising
> WMAU members to lobby on social media etc.
>

> Tony

> On 12/11/2013, at 7:28 PM, Andrew Owens wrote:
>

> http://www.news.com.au/technology/online/why-creating-memes-is-illegal-in-australia/story-fnjwmwrh-1226758121774
>
> The Australian Digital Alliance is pushing for a fair use amendment to
> the Copyright Act. Is there anything WMAu and its supporters can do to
> get on board with it?
>
> kindest regards
> Andrew

wittylama.com