While these are all Web 2.0 (or digital engagement platforms as Liam calls
them), there are distinct differences. There is a pretty clear goal to WP
and other WMF projects (open knowledge) that we work towards. But Facebook,
Twitter etc don't really have an overall goal as such (well, apart from make
money for their owners through advertising or whatever) but none from a user
perspective. They are more platforms that are predominately used as
pastimes, although of course some people may use that platform for a goal of
their own (promote a cause or product or whatever).

Personally I would describe the WP experience as much less social than
Facebook etc. People "friend" me and "like" my comments on Facebook, but
most of the WP talk interaction is much more critical (and sometimes
hostile). The old management saying "phrase in public, criticise in private"
is completely overlooked in the design of WP user talk pages. My experience
of some WP projects is that they behave with more of a "gang mentality", as
in "ooh, you've edited a page that's on our turf, so now we'll beat you up",
hardly what I would call social. Of course, my Facebook friends are people
that I choose to be my Facebook friends and they are predominantly people
that I know in "real life", whereas I don't know most WP editors (even the
subset that write on my user talk page) in real life and have no control
over their ability to write on my public user talk page.

I'd hesitate to call Wikipedia "social media".

Kerry

  _____