I'd agree with Kerry here.  It is part of the same generation of web apps
as Facebook, etc but serves an entirely different purpose.  It would be
like comparing the development of open source software "social media"
because they deal with other developers around the globe, for example.

Having said that, a couple of years ago there was a mock up of a future
Wikimedia interface (looking 10-15 years away) which included
facebook/twitter like influences such as notification pop-ups, etc, and of
course the "wikilove" icon today could be compared to a "like".

Regards,

Charles