Patrick Kenel wrote:

> Good summary, Ilario. My question: Why is it difficult with Mediawiki?

Because Mediawiki was developed for open-access projects such as
Wikipedia, which does require only very little control access for
reading (e.g. deletion, oversight).

Several extensions have been created to control access, but since the
core software has not been designed with this kind of security in mind,
and there are many potential ways to get information out of the system,
so it is very hard to guarantee that they work as intended.

This is, as far as I know, the "official" position of the developers. It
does not say anything about whether these extensions would work well
enough in practice, nor if they would fit any of our needs.

You can have a look at the following pages for more information:

http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:Restricting_access
http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Security_issues_with_authorization_extensions

For what it's worth, we use Mediawiki at work and decided to create
different closed wikis for each project. We first tried to use another
wiki system that is better at restricting access, but people were
confused by the different syntaxes (either because they contribute to
Wikipedia, or because they collaborate with other people who use
Mediawiki), so we switched to Mediawiki. We have ~10 active wikis and it
works ok, but it could easily become a nightmare if people start having
to share information from one project to another...

Frédéric