On Mon, Jun 6, 2011 at 12:16 AM, Gautam John <gau...@prathambooks.org> wrote:

> Which is what I was referring to in my next sentence - what is growth
> and how do we measure it (I am loathe to use the word holistically) in
> the context of Wikipedia and related Wikimedia projects?

I was reading <http://www.thehindu.com/news/national/article2079548.ece>
off another thread and, here's a part that I found illuminating

<quote>

Sharing the reason for choosing India, Frank Schulenburg, Head of
Public Outreach at the Wikimedia Foundation, said: “We need a lot more
writers from India, and a lot about India needs to be written. This is
why we sensed the biggest global opportunity in India.”

</quote>

In my mind this sums it up well. The initial question or, conversation
with Gautam was not aimed at bike-shedding but was with the idea of
understanding whether everyone shared the same idea when it comes to
the word 'growth'. Personally, I'd see opportunity. That slice in time
and space that allows content and technology to be mashed together to
provide a larger possibility to an ever increasing population by means
of an outreach.

And, yet, there needs to be data points defined to be able to keep
track of such events and such opportunities.

To Tinu, Gautam and Bishakha, thank you for taking time for responding.

--
sankarshan mukhopadhyay
<http://sankarshan.randomink.org/blog>