Arun,

While all the noteworthy Wikimedians announced and jury mentions are good,
I am very disappointed that some of the very outstanding nominations are
left out for unknown reasons. There is no need to limit the number of
selections if documentation, learning is the motive. I resisted nominating
anyone to save this disappointment for myself and the nominated Wikipedians.

First of all, having a jury sounds un-wikipediac for me. This is a kind of
hierarchy which is common in award committees but does not belong in
Wikipedia. In Wikipedia, we have a jury only in extreme cases for
arbitration. In cases where we can have more than one able choice, we have
only the community to nominate and recognize all able nominations (Example:
sysop elections ). And, when the community is small, many times we assume
good faith without voting and revert only if a difference of opinion arises
( Example: Featured Wikipedians in Tamil Wikipedia).

In our earlier conversation analogies were drawn to Nobel prize and Jimmy's
Global Wikimedian of the year. Jimmy's award is purely personal choice and
there can be no controversy for that (Please clarify if that is an official
award by WMF). A comparison with Nobel prize doesn't sound good as this is
an exercise done by Wikipedians for the Wikipedians.

And the whole planning of this year's NWR left much to be desired.

If you want to continue doing this every year, please do it without jury
and ask each community to send their choices and recognize all of them.

Ravi