Thanks for sending this, Shiju!

I just got off the phone with a wonderful woman who works for EDC India who
was asking me how she could participate in Kannada Wikipedia editing.
Obviously I can just direct her to the homepage of kn-wiki, but is there
somewhere she could go to get some coaching to begin? She's never edited
before, but is fluent in English too and wants to increase the educational
content.

Thanks for your help!
Jessie

On Mon, Dec 5, 2011 at 9:55 PM, Shiju Alex <sh...@wikimedia.org> wrote:

> Dear All,
>

> As part of my discussion with Indic language Wikipedians I spoke with few
> Kannada wikipedians. I have summarized the discussion in meta wiki. It is
> here:
> http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Foundation_-_India_Programs/Indic_Languages/Kannada/Discussions/2011
>

> Kannada with more than 4 crore speakers and is one of the 22 scheduled
> languages of india. Kannada is primarily spoken in the Indian state
> Karnataka.
>
> Kannada Wikipedia has a very interesting heritage.  This is the community
> that started Wiki outreach programs in India.  In fact, the first Indic
> wiki workshop that I am aware of was organized by HPN way back in 2004! A lot
> of interesting things happened for a while and there was a time when Kannda
> has a vibrant 40+ strong community.
>
> However, off late, things appear to have slowed down and the number of
> active editors is on a relative decline.  Having said that, the seeds have
> already been sown in this community and I am confident that with a little
> nurturing, we can see activism in Kannada wikipedia coming back. I am
> basing my optimism on Kananda Wiktionary -where the community has taken it
> to the 2nd largest wiktionary in the country.  There is much activism
> happening around kannada wiktionary. In Kannada wikipedia I got opportunity
> to interact with high prolific editors like User:Radhatanaya who is
> silently doing wonderful job.
>
> Kannada wikipedia has more than 11,000 articles now and kannada wiktionary
> has whopping 1,50,000 entries (making it the second biggest Wiktionary
> among Indic language wiktionaries).
>
> Kindly read the experience of Kannada Wikimedians at:
>
> http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Foundation_-_India_Programs/Indic_Languages/Kannada/Discussions/2011
>

>  Regards
> Shiju

*Jessie Wild