On Wed, Sep 3, 2014 at 9:38 AM, Pradeep Mohandas <pradeep.mohan...@gmail.com
> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> It is perhaps worth considering a format of having multiple user groups
> model in India rather than having one central Wikimedia India Chapter.

About a year ago there was some interest in creating a Mediawiki India
group but met with opposition from the chapter.

Is there currently a restriction on creating user groups independent of the
chapter? It would be good to know what this is?
Do I need permission from the chapter to start a Wikipedia editors club in
my neighbourhood?

> I do not think that the Chapter in its current form is representative of
> the Wikimedia Community in India. I have asked the Chapter to hold
> membership drives in other language wikis and other regions but this does
> not seem to have taken off. It has been 4 years since the Chapter was
> formed.
>
> The downside would be that several groups will have to interact with state
> governments in their respective states but I think this will make them
> understand and respect the Executive Committee's work more.
>
> I think this is worth considering in the present scenario.
>
> Warm regards,
> Pradeep Mohandas
>
> Sent from my iPhone

 Arun Ganesh