Hi guys-

David - this is AWESOME: i'm so glad you are thinking about helping with
this! This is the same idea WMF have, but unfortunately we do not have a
lot of resources available on the engineering side to make this happen.

Emmanuel is the lead developer for Kiwix - a ZIM file reader which you have
probably been using to read your Offline Wikipedia. He is actually working
on an Android version of the Kiwix reader right now!
http://kiwix.org/index.php/Android

If you are interested in helping with this project (and I really hope you
are!), I would recommend getting in touch with him directly (CC'd here),
and joining the Kiwix developer mailing list (CC'd).

So excited for the potential here!
Jessie

On Tue, Jan 31, 2012 at 10:58 PM, Abbas Mahmood <abbas...@hotmail.com>wrote:

>  And you might want to join the Wikimedia Mobile mailing list:
>
> --Abbas
> ------------------------------
> Date: Wed, 1 Feb 2012 09:55:56 +0300
> From: raidar...@gmail.com
> To: wikimediake@lists.wikimedia.org
> Subject: Re: [Wikimedia Kenya] Idea - Schools project upper phase
>

> Abbas,
>
> That would be cool, if there is probably something existing or in
> progress, I would like to participate and customize it for Africa... Kenya.
>
> David.
>
> On Wed, Feb 1, 2012 at 9:54 AM, Abbas Mahmood <abbas...@hotmail.com>wrote:
>
>  David,
>
> I'm not a techie, so I can't really comment on any of this. But I do know
> some MediaWiki folks as well as some people on WMF's tech/mobile
> department. So if you need their help/support, I'd be happy to connect you
> to them :-)
>
> All the best,
> Abbas.
>
> ------------------------------
> Date: Wed, 1 Feb 2012 09:50:31 +0300
> From: raidar...@gmail.com
> To: wikimediake@lists.wikimedia.org
> Subject: [Wikimedia Kenya] Idea - Schools project upper phase
>

> Guys,
>
> Think of this... You have $100 to spend on a learning device. A computer
> maybe. Or maybe even an Android Tab. Think of the two. A $100 computer is
> slow and lazy and probably wont run anything beyond windows xp. An Android
> device on the other hand, will run ICS (Android 4) and probably offer great
> speeds. Now, we need Android offline readers. I am a Java developer, I need
> hands to work with, who wants in on an Android reader? It will be much more
> cooler to use touch screen devices for learning plus they are really
> modern... give it a though, I think I want to start an open source project
> on this...
>
> --
>

> --

*Jessie Wild