2009/3/23 James Hardy <[email protected]>: > regarding Registered Charity Status > > 2009/3/22 Thomas Dalton <[email protected]> >> >> It's not, but getting it soon is. You need an annual income of over >> £5000 to register, we're not likely to get that kind of money (or >> pledges for it) for several months at least without including >> Wikimania sponsorship. > > Exactly how strict are the Charities Commission criteria's on this, Do they > actually need to see evidence of cash in the bank? Are pledges to that value > enough? What about evidence to support a reasonable expectation of achieving > greater than that amount?
I think they want firm pledges, but they don't need to see the actual cash in the bank. > I am wondering if the foundation was to write a letter stating that: > A) the WMF received donations totalling over £50,000 in sterling last year > [1] > and > B) in future UK residents and taxpayers will be given the option to donate > to WMUK (they may even be able to give an idea of what sort of percentage > have done this when other chapters have gone live) > and therefore > C) WMUK can expect approximately £X (where X is greater than 5000) due to > WMF fund-raising > then might this be enough for them? That might not be, but WMF could pledge to top up whatever we make during the fund-raiser to guarantee that it is more than £5000 (there would be negligible risk to the foundation in doing this, we all know the fund-raiser will make more than £5000). That would probably be enough to satisfy the CC. > Unrelated to this, I assume that if I donate now and make a declaration that > I am a UK Taxpayer, that declaration can be held on to and then the tax can > be claimed back once WMUK is registered. Am I right? You are correct. (I think we can claim anything from 2 or 3 years before getting registered, so hopefully there won't be a problem there!) _______________________________________________ Wikimedia UK mailing list [email protected] http://mail.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimediauk-l WMUK: http://uk.wikimedia.org
