This is crazy. :-/ Where to start?

First, fundamentally, the aim of pretty much everything is to
increase knowledge. Teaching/education is merely a means to
communicate that to people, which is something that an encyclopaedia
natively does. To say that producing an encyclopaedia does not
advance education - especially considering that this is Wikipedia,
which has a huge impact - is simply wrong.

Second, learning how to write an encyclopaedia - something that
everyone who contributes to Wikipedia does - is inherently an
educational experience. To support that naturally supports the
advancement of education. To quote a law from 1957 - over 50 years
ago - simply shows how out of date the law, and hence the goverment,
is in this respect.

Third, we're not all about Wikipedia. We're about the Wikimedia
Movement, or even more generally, the free culture movement. That
incorporates a much wider range of projects, including Wikiversity
whose aim is explicitly to educate people, and a load of other
projects that do this to a lesser extent.

Fourth, stating that "the support the Wikipedia" is "the stated
primary purpose of Wiki UK Ltd" is simply wrong; where does it even
mention "Wikipedia" in our MoA/AoA?

(There are more points, but I'm too tired right now to phrase them
coherently...)

We should definitely respond to HMRC about this; getting lawyers
involved seems to be a very good idea. Is it worth contacting
LawWorks regarding this?

If we don't get anywhere with HMRC, then we should take this to the
media - they'll have a field day with this.

Mike