Hi all,

Copied below is the minutes of the meeting we had last Tuesday which are also
published on the wiki at http://uk.wikimedia.org/wiki/Meetings/2009-07-07.
Please let me know if you have any questions or corrections.

The main topics of discussion were our initiatives and charity application:

Initiatives

The board decided to choose the following three initiatives as the ones we're
committed to completing by March next year:

1) The Schools Project, led by our Volunteers Director, Paul Williams - see
http://uk.wikimedia.org/wiki/Initiatives/Schools_project
2) The London Loves Wikipedia project - see
http://uk.wikimedia.org/wiki/London_Loves_Wikipedia
3) The workplace learning lunches initiative at the BBC

The Foundation grant previously announced on this list will fund the first two
initiatives as well as a fourth initiative - engaging with museums and similar
bodies to encourage them to release content under free licenses - which we aim
to complete by July next year.

Charity application

Given that the grant from the Foundation pushes us over the £5,000 threshold,
the Commission has advised us that we should submit our application to them
within a reasonable time of receiving the donation, notwithstanding our
previous correspondence with HMRC. We have therefore started work on this
immediately.

Regards,

Andrew Turvey
Secretary
Wikimedia UK
Wikimedia UK is the operating name of Wiki UK Limited.
Wiki UK Ltd is a Company Limited by Guarantee registered in England and Wales,
Registered No. 6741827.
The Registered Office is at 23 Cartwright Way, Nottingham, NG9 1RL, United
Kingdom.

Wikimedia UK Board meeting Tuesday 7th July 2009, 8:30pm BST at
#wikimedia-uk-board

Present: Michael Peel (MP) (Chair); Andrew Turvey (AT) (minutes); Joseph Seddon
(JS); Paul Williams (PW)

Apologies: Steve Virgin (SV); Tom Holden (TH); Zeyi He (ZH) for late arrival

[ edit ] Minutes of the previous meetings

The minutes of the meeting dated 23 June were approved.

The following actions have been carried forward:

1. JS to send the tokens of our appreciation to the retiring Directors, tellers
and external speakers.

ACTION: JS

2. PW will arrange the production of business cards for Wikimedia UK officials.

ACTION: PW

3. TD agreed to contact the gazette on behalf of WMUK to solicit a pro-bono
lawyer

ACTION: TD

4. The cost to attend the Online Information 2009 (1-3 Dec, London) conference
is £400/day/person (£400 for the 3 days for registered charities). JS will
confirm whether speakers have to pay this fee. In the event that speakers do
have to pay the fee, SV will look into getting a slot in a fringe event
instead.

ACTION: JS; SV

5. AT to thank the pro-bono lawyer for his offer of help, explain the Board has
decided to respond to HMRC ASAP; if this is not successful we may then seek
legal advice so would be grateful for assistance then if it's still available
and would they be prepared to advise us on the chapters agreement.

ACTION: AT

6. AT to submit expenses AGM claim .

ACTION: AT

7. PW agreed to finalise the design, contact interested members to see what
cards they want and organise the printing.

ACTION: PW

8. PW agreed to draft an email to the WMF formalising the agreement to use
Wikimedia Foundation trademarks in members-only merchandising and to look into
where we could produce merchandise.

ACTION: PW

[ edit ] Matters arising

[ edit ] Press response templates

It was agreed that the six scenarios identified at Media relations#Media
response would be sufficient for now. MP agreed to draft these templates.

ACTION: MP

[ edit ] Pro bono lawyers

It was decided that we would approach potential pro-bono lawyers once the
chapter agreement and the charity application were at a stage where we needed
specific advice, rather than seeking to engage a general "on-call" lawyer.

[ edit ] .uk project domain names

Board members were concerned that if the chapter owned domains like
wikipedia.org.uk they could attract liability to the chapter for project
content and make it subject to UK libel laws. However, it was acknowledged that
it could be a good source of traffic and hence revenue if it is used to
redirect to uk.wikimedia.org. It was agreed that MP would contact Wikimedia
Deutschland to ask them how much revenue they get from their redirect from
wikipedia.de and we will reconsider when this is known.

ACTION: MP

[ edit ] Reports

[ edit ] Secretary's Report

The report here was noted.

AT informed that he had not heard anything back from HMRC and isn't sure if it
will take another 8 weeks for our letter to be processed.

JS volunteered to help Wikimedia Indonesia with their proofreading request - AT
will put them in touch.

ACTION: AT Done

[ edit ] Treasurer's Report

This was unavailable so it was agreed the next meeting would have a report to
cover four weeks.

[ edit ] Chair's Report

The report here was noted.

MP agreed to look into whether it would be possible to have a Wikimedia UK
speaker at the Science Online London conference.

[ edit ] Conferences Report

The report here was noted.

The Board discussed whether we could combine the planned Wikimedia UK 2010
Conference with the Open Knowledge Foundation's annual conference. JS will
continue to investigate.

[ edit ] Corporate Relations Report

No report was available but SV has kept the Board informed through emails of
his activities with the BBC, a survey on Wikipedia use and Richard Stirling at
the government's "Digital Engagement Team" .

MP agreed to ask SV for a report at the next meeting to cover four weeks.

ACTION: MP

[ edit ] Volunteers Report

PW gave a verbal update on the work planned for the following week:

    1. Chase up / finalise business card design and order
    2. Develop membership drive further and begin "the push"
    3. Develop and distribute the July newsletter

MP and PW agreed to finalise the newsletter by Tuesday 14th July for
distribution by the end of the following day.

ACTION: PW, MP

[ edit ] Charity Commission application

Per the Secretary's Report above, AT has discussed the chapter's situation with
the Charity Commission over the phone. Their advice is we should apply to them
within a reasonable time of receiving the £5,000 donation. The application form
contains some wordy sections - particularly Section C, explaining how our
objectives and activities are carried out for the public benefit and Section D,
working with vulnerable people (in our case, children).

It was agreed that we will need to fill in section D, given our plans for the
Schools project.

PW agreed to draft section D, MP agreed to draft section C and AT agreed to
draft the rest of the form. PW, MP and AT all agreed to have a draft ready for
discussion for the next meeting.

ACTION: PW, MP, AT

ZH joined the meeting

[ edit ] Initiatives

As per the agreed timeline , the Board has agreed to adopt three initiatives by
the 15th July for completion by March 2010. The Wikimedia Foundation grant will
fund the School Project , London Loves Wikipedia and a content access project.
If these three initiatives are not completed by 1 June 2010 then funds may have
to be returned.

It was agreed that the School Project would be adopted as the first initiative,
with a target of doing at least 6 presentations by March 2010. It was agreed
that PW would lead. PW agreed to develop a plan for this initiative on the
wiki.

ACTION: PW

It was agreed that London Loves Wikipedia would be adopted as the second
initiative. AT is able to support but not lead. MP will contact supporters to
solicit people interested in participating, and will stand in as lead if no one
else comes forward.

ACTION: MP

PW left the meeting

It was agreed that the Workplace Learning Lunches initiative at the BBC would
be tentatively adopted as the third objective, to be confirmed following
discussions with Steve.

Content access projects will be considered as a fourth initiative, which may
not be completed before March 2010.

As previously agreed, the commitment from the board to complete these three
initiatives by March 2010 does not mean that the chapter should not pursue
other initiatives as and when they arise.

[ edit ] Next meeting

It was agreed the next meeting would be on Tuesday 21st July, 8:30 pm (BST) in
#wikimedia-uk-board. Topics of discussion will include progress on each of
these three initiatives and the Charity application.