On Wed, 2011-09-28 at 10:02 +0100, Michael Peel wrote:
> On 28 Sep 2011, at 09:58, Harry Burt wrote:
> 
> > Sorry to ask such a tangential question, but what is WMUK's position
> > on non-English wikis that might be suitable for a Scottish audience
> > (e.g. Scots)? Will it seek to actively promote interest in them?
> 
> In general, yes, most definitely.
> 
> In reality, we need to have speakers of the language, and people from the 
> appropriate geography, involved so that it's not just English people 
> promoting them. ;-) Finding those people has proved to be very tricky in the 
> past (as is currently being demonstrated by the few people that have signed 
> up or left apologies for the Edinburgh wikimeet this Saturday, 
> http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Meetup/Edinburgh_3 ).

Mike,

I think I've identified the biggest problem there: Geonotices are opt-in
only. I've *never* been presented with one, and I'm not even sure where
I'd enable such.

That is,... stupid (yes, being my notoriously blunt self). Whilst the
WMF does not want to irk people to the extent Facebook does with their
perpetual extreme makeovers, there is nothing wrong with saying "we have
a real-world event in your area, click here to view, or here to disable
such notices".

We could easily be missing dozens of people with 4-figure-plus edit
counts because it might be intrusive to tell them fellow Wikimedians are
in the area.

Incidentally, Rock Drum has done a great job on tarting up the Wikimedia
in Scotland page! Kudos are due there.

Brian McNeil.
-- 
http://en.wikinews.org/wiki/Brian_McNeil - Accredited Reporter.
Facts don't cease to be facts, but news ceases to be news.


_______________________________________________
Wikimedia UK mailing list
[email protected]
http://mail.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimediauk-l
WMUK: http://uk.wikimedia.org

Reply via email to