Edinburgh probably isn't very representative of the lot. Bring on the
Glaswegians and Aberdeen Dorics! My classmate from Aberdeen claims clearly
that he's *bilingual* in Doric [Scots] and English, as do most natives of
Aberdeen. I think there are lots of native Scots speakers who realise Scots
is different enough from English that it has become a different language,
and it's our job to promote their awareness of a Scots Wikipedia.

However, for those in Edinburgh who aren't sure whether they're speaking
Scots or just Scottish English, I agree that pushing them to contribute or
read a Scots Wikipedia isn't the best of ideas.

(Re geonotices)
Geonotices are opt-out rather than opt-in. However, geolocation often isn't
very good in the UK, and it's possible that your IP is tagged to the wrong
place all the time.

On 29 September 2011 22:17, Brian McNeil <[email protected]>wrote:

> On Wed, 2011-09-28 at 13:53 +0100, Harry Burt wrote:
> > On Wed, Sep 28, 2011 at 1:45 PM, HJ Mitchell <[email protected]>
> wrote:
> > > The same could be said of Welsh, or Latin, or a handful of other
> languages
> > > with a dedicated Wikipedia. I'm on the fence as to the usefulness of
> these
> > > projects, but I thought I'd just point out that there are a few of
> them. ;)
> > >
> > > Harry
> > > (HJ Mitchell)
> >
> > Oh, sure. But Scots is the most marginal case of the lot, I think,
> > which is why I was reminded of it by the original post.
>
> I'm going to chime in here onHarry's post, as-opposed to getting further
> down the rabbit hole on this discussion.
>
> I live in Edinburgh. I am surrounded by people who speak Scots. They
> don't even know they do so. If you mention Scots as a language to them,
> they *might* think of the poetry of Rabbie Burns. If they're smart, they
> may say they speak a Scottish dialect of English.
>
> Personally, I would say the difference between Scots and British English
> is more than the difference between Brit.Eng and U.S.Eng, but less than
> the difference back to Shakespearean English.
>
> I'd go as far as saying you can only call it a distinct language if
> you're one of the people south of the border who demanded subtitles for
> Rab C. Nesbitt.
>
> Whether or not the sco language code is justified, is a point I'll defer
> to linguists on. As I say, Burns is the best-known example of it, and
> I've no passion to glorify the poetic musings of an ex-tax collector.
>
>
> Brian McNeil.
> --
> http://en.wikinews.org/wiki/Brian_McNeil - Accredited Reporter.
> Facts don't cease to be facts, but news ceases to be news.
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> Wikimedia UK mailing list
> [email protected]
> http://mail.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimediauk-l
> WMUK: http://uk.wikimedia.org
>
_______________________________________________
Wikimedia UK mailing list
[email protected]
http://mail.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimediauk-l
WMUK: http://uk.wikimedia.org

Reply via email to