For the record, I think this is the sort of cause that WMUK should be seen
to be aligned with. Surveillance of your access to information is a form of
cost, especially when the information you access potentially covers all
topics. It's an unconventional kind of cost (and some people wouldn't even
call it that) but if you give up privacy to find and use information,
that's a sense in which you're paying for it.* We work for access to
knowledge which is free, in multiple senses, and universal as far as
possible, so I think a campaign for sensible restrictions on surveillance
is something we should be aligned with. I hope, but don't presume, that
others share this opinion, and I guess this is also the thinking behind
Stevie's question.

Apologies if this is "mansplaining": I expect readers already understand
this.


On 28 November 2013 15:23, Martin Poulter <[email protected]> wrote:

> Fae, Stevie hasn't said there were "out of scope" objections, he's just
> open-mindedly consulting us about whether we think it's out of scope.
>
>
> On 28 November 2013 15:18, Fæ <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> On 28 November 2013 13:24, Stevie Benton <[email protected]>
>> wrote:
>> > Hello everyone,
>> >
>> > Wikimedia UK has been asked to consider signing a document supporting
>> these
>> > International Principles on the Application of Human Rights to
>> > Communications Surveillance In principle I think this is worthwhile and
>> > shows that we are on the side of the every day internet user. But some
>> may
>> > say it is out of our scope. What do people think? If there's a consensus
>> > I'll add Wikimedia UK to the list.
>> >
>> > This can be discussed on this list or on the Water Cooler of the WMUK
>> wiki
>> > if you prefer.
>>
>> What were the "out of our scope" objections?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Fae
>> --
>> [email protected] http://j.mp/faewm
>>
>> _______________________________________________
>> Wikimedia UK mailing list
>> [email protected]
>> http://mail.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimediauk-l
>> WMUK: http://uk.wikimedia.org
>>
>
>
>
> --
> Dr Martin L Poulter
> Jisc Wikimedia Ambassador, July 2013 - March 2014
> Wikipedia contributor         http://enwp.org/User:MartinPoulter
> Volunteer, Wikimedia UK   
> http://uk.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:MartinPoulter<http://uk.wikimedia.org/>
> Musician                          http://soundcloud.com/martin-poulter
>                                        http://myspace.com/comapilot
> Person                             http://infobomb.org/
>



-- 
Dr Martin L Poulter
Jisc Wikimedia Ambassador, July 2013 - March 2014
Wikipedia contributor         http://enwp.org/User:MartinPoulter
Volunteer, Wikimedia UK
http://uk.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:MartinPoulter<http://uk.wikimedia.org/>
Musician                          http://soundcloud.com/martin-poulter
                                       http://myspace.com/comapilot
Person                             http://infobomb.org/
_______________________________________________
Wikimedia UK mailing list
[email protected]
http://mail.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimediauk-l
WMUK: http://uk.wikimedia.org

Reply via email to