Nevertheless consider the file structure inside archive.org, who collects
images into zip files and text into _djvu.xml files, so allowing to manage
its brilliant viewer.
Djvu format really can be used as a compact images+xml container, but it
seems an obsolete file format, as recent discontinuation of output by
archive.org suggests.  Pdf is IMHO too complex and can't be considered an
open format.

Alex brollo