I don't understand fully your statement "Right now, I'm going to convert
them to DjVu and upload them, *without any text information*.". Don't you
feel any need  of an excellent OCR layer when proofreading it into
wikisource? Do you feel fully satisfied by mediawiki OCR of images?
Unluckily, I feel mediawiki OCR very uncomfortable, dealing with
not-English books, and I don't know how to get xml data about mapping of
words into page image. For sure, if mediawiki 1. could serve the best OCR
possible of images with no text layer, after self-recognition of languages
of text, 2. would encourage to upload images at best possible quality, 3.
could optionally serve hOCR or xml of mapped text layer, there would be no
need of thirdy-parts good OCR layer.