On 7 November 2012 03:09, Krinkle <krinklem...@gmail.com> wrote:
..
> == Feature detection
>
> In most (if not all) cases of people using $.browser it is because they want
> different behaviour for browsers that don't support a certain something.
> Please
> take a minute to look at the code and find out what it is you are
> special-casing
> for that apparently doesn't work in a certain browser.
>
> Research on the internet and look for a way to detect this properly (examples
> below). Browser detection (instead of feature detection) is not reliable, nor
> is
> it very effective. For example, Internet Explorer has changed a lot since IE6.
> Blindly doing A for IE and B for non-IE isn't very useful anymore as most (if
> not all) of the new features will work fine in IE8, IE9 or IE10.

The other day I detected that IE don't support deleting  <option>
elements from inside a <optgroup>.  The element is removed from the
DOM, but is still visible on the webpage ( Yes, the DOM and the
webpage become unsynced: you see elements that don't really exist). I
have googled this, and nobody has find this bug (maybe nobody is using
<optgroup> in a DHTML way before, or is doing under a closed door, not
public. Or people avoid advanced features, to avoid IE bugs ).  I
can't imagine the pain of the creators of something like Google Docs.
And If Google, with all his money and resources, talented workers and
influence, can't support IE7   [1], ... What I can do?

I suppose the fix will come close, with a plugin that will add again
the feature.

[1]
http://googleenterprise.blogspot.com.es/2011/06/our-plans-to-support-modern-browsers.html

ℱin del ℳensaje.