On Thu, Nov 8, 2012 at 5:17 PM, Tim Starling <tstarl...@wikimedia.org> wrote:
> I can understand the rationale behind removing jQuery.browser:
> apparently most developers are too stupid to be trusted with it. Maybe
> the idea is to use per-project reimplementation of jQuery.browser as
> an intelligence test. The trouble is, I think even the stupidest
> developers are able to copy and paste.

Yes, there are legitimate reasons for using browser detection, in
cases where feature detection doesn't work. The Safari segfault is a
good example. In fact, VisualEditor uses browser detection to disable
itself in browsers with broken contentEditable support, because it's
very hard or impossible to feature-detect this. I believe Timo was
working on cleaning up a different UA detection plugin somewhere on
github and using that for VE's browser detection.

tl;dr: browser detection is evil, you should think twice before using
it, but sometimes you have to

Roan