On Mon, Aug 31, 2009 at 10:17 AM, Gerard
Meijssen<gerard.meijs...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hoi,
> Thank you for the hyperbole.. Your representation insinuates that our
> systems will crash unless this change is implemented. Fact is that currently
> our messages are parsed.
> Thanks,
>     GerardM
>
> 2009/8/31 Aryeh Gregor
> <simetrical+wikil...@gmail.com<simetrical%2bwikil...@gmail.com>
>>

>> On Mon, Aug 31, 2009 at 8:27 AM, Gerard
>> Meijssen<gerard.meijs...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> > There are two opposing objectives at play. Performance is one and quality
>> > localisation for MediaWiki in all our projects is the second. Just
>> stating
>> > that performance trumps our localisation is also very much a nono.
>> >
>> > These are consequences and they have to be considered. Just breaking the
>> way
>> > our localisation works in this way is at least equally unacceptable as
>> poor
>> > performance is.
>>
>> Slightly more burdensome localization makes the localizers' lives a
>> bit more difficult.  Running out of CPU means the site will crash.
>> So, no, I don't think so.  Of course, it would be nice if someone came
>> up with a solution that everyone was happy with, but until then,
>> performance *is* more important than localization convenience.

In the WMF environment, I know a lot of instances of {{SITENAME}}
have been changed to strings on a lot of the larger wikis. For the WMF,
this is a good performance gain with little drawback to the users. Their
sitename isn't changing anytime soon, so it doesn't really matter to
use {{SITENAME}} or not.

For individual wikis elsewhere, {{SITENAME}} may be of greater benefit.
This doesn't hold true for the WMF though, and that's what Domas is
talking about.

-Chad