On Thu, Sep 24, 2009 at 7:27 AM, Aryeh Gregor
<simetrical+wikil...@gmail.com> wrote:
<snip>

> Last I heard, by the way, even now most actual *content* is added by
> occasional contributors.  Power users may have more edits, but that
> doesn't mean they're the most important ones.

<snip>

It may depend on your definition of "occasional contributor" and
"power user", but the way I tend to think about such distinctions
would suggest your statement is false.  I've never been able to do the
analysis directly for enwiki, because it is too large and lacks
appropriate dumps, but looking at other large Wikipedias suggests that
as a rule of thumb about 70% of article content (measured by character
count) comes from accounts with more than 1000 edits to articles.
Only ~15% of content originates from people with 100 article edits or
less.  In practice, adding sentences, paragraphs, sections, and
entirely new articles, is something that most people have to ease
their way into.  In addition, young editors who try to add large
blocks of text too early in their career often find their content is
reverted because of writing style or formatting problems.  So, the
creation of new blocks of content tends to be primarily accomplished
by experienced editors.

You are right that the multitude of drive-by editors willing to do
spell checking and make other small edits is a great resource, and
should be encouraged.  However, I would suggest that for the expansion
and long-term development of Wikipedia it is the retention of existing
power users and the development of new ones that is most important.

However, making it easier for people to first start editing should
also ultimately lead to more potential power editors, so I think the
goals are generally compatible.  There is no reason why making it
easier for newbies should ever be anything other than a net benefit to
everyone.

-Robert Rohde