On Fri, Sep 25, 2009 at 1:53 PM, Gerard Meijssen
<gerard.meijs...@gmail.com> wrote:
> This specific character mentioned in the article is used to write the
> Tanimuca-RetuarĂ£ language. This is specified in the article. itself.

Ethnologue says it has 300 speakers, if I'm reading it correctly:

http://www.ethnologue.com/show_language.asp?code=tnc

With a literacy rate of 5% or less, I guess that works out to 15
people in the world who can actually read or write it?  If I'm reading
the figures correctly, Tanimuca-RetuarĂ£ is drastically below the
threshold where there can be any serious question of creating
educational resources in the language, so I really don't think
Wikimedia needs to concern itself with it.

In any event, we are talking about an article on the *English*
Wikipedia, and what the *English* Wikipedia should do when this
situation arises.  I made no comment on anything relating to anyone
trying to write Tanimuca-RetuarĂ£, which nobody is on the English
Wikipedia.  It's a non sequitur.

> Languages that need characters that are missing in fonts that are in general
> use are not isolated affairs. In the end there is only one solution; we
> should be part of a solution that allows us to show all characters.

Those who want to help building fonts can feel free to do so.  It will
not change the fact that as Unicode expands, support for new additions
will be gradual, and wikis need to figure out something to do when a
character is not well supported by their viewers.