On 1 February 2010 23:44, Gregory Maxwell <gmaxw...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 1, 2010 at 6:31 PM, Schneelocke <schneelo...@gmail.com> wrote:

>> Maybe we should do the same - introduce bugs that will cause subtle
>> breakages on browsers we'd rather not go out of our way to
>> specifically support any longer, and see if anyone'll actually
>> complain. :)

> People are really bad at complaining, especially web users.  We've had
> prolonged obvious glitches which must have effected hundreds of
> thousands of people and maybe we get a couple of reports.
> Users appear to just hit the back button and move on, either they
> don't care at all or they do care but assume it will be fixed without
> their intervention.
> What you propose is not a good policy, at least not in this application space.

Indeed. It works for X because a lot of the cruft was corporate bad
ideas from the early 1990s that they foolishly committed to supporting
forever, including things that *never worked*, *ever*. Breaking them
proved that nobody cared. The Xorg crew are desperately trying to drag
a horrible old codebase into the 21st century. The only reason your
Linux laptop works reasonably reliably is that the X codebase is very
seasoned, not that it's not horrible ;-)

Nevertheless, in our space it does require the people who advocate
support to do the testing and complaining when it doesn't work,
because, observably, no-one else is going to. As I said: applied
bloody-mindedness.

- d.