On Thu, Feb 4, 2010 at 8:36 PM, Daniel Friesen
<li...@nadir-seen-fire.com> wrote:

> I read a note before that someone caught Microsoft's Bing making a
> number of requests to their site with a UA that makes it look like ie6
> and inflates stats.
> http://opengameart.org/forumtopic/dear-microsoft

Someone from Microsoft told this guy that they spoof the UA because
some sites won't give content to UAs they don't recognise, including
the msnbot:

http://eng.genius.com/blog/2010/01/12/user-agent-strings/

All the examples of spoofed IE 6 strings I could find included Windows
NT 5.2 (ie, Windows Server 2003) in the UA; this OS is currently 0.64%
of requests:

http://stats.wikimedia.org/wikimedia/squids/SquidReportOperatingSystems.htm

Here's someone talking about a Bing bot transcoding mobile sites that
also spoofs IE 6:

http://wapreview.com/blog/?p=4127

Note that along with the UA header is a Via header with "1.1
WTRSCP19911". Presumably that's the shorthand for the transcoder
service. I wonder if msnbot also gives a Via header along with the
spoofed UA?

--
Stephen Bain
stephen.b...@gmail.com