On Fri, Sep 3, 2010 at 5:05 PM, James Salsman <jsals...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Are there any reasons not to allow donors to earmark categories?

I feel an instinctive and passionate loathing for this proposal.
However, instinct and loathing are not very positive grounds on which
to argue a position, as I once tried to explain to a large bloke in a
pub as he repeatedly punched me in the face.

So I shall try to rein in my passions and argue with the logic of an automaton.

Firstly, such earmarking would turn a donation into a kind of
popularity vote. The populace decides what the priorities are. Voting
can be very good, we are all democratic now, but voters must be
informed citizens.

I believe the current percentage of Wikipedia visitors that edits
rather than stopping at just consuming the material is something like
0.01%. I would assume that the great majority of donors are readers of
articles and have never been anywhere near a mailing list like this
one, or looked at Meta-Wiki, or even visited our proposals pages, or
the strategy wiki, or really given much thought about the fact that a
Foundation runs Wikipedia. They may not even know it's a charity.

You are proposing that this unthinking and uninterested mass present
us with a few shakes of the Magic 8 Ball that the WMF will then feel
bound by?

Secondly, you state that perhaps 30 options for earmarking could be
presented to a potential donor, when I believe it's been shown that
users interact with things at a proportion inverse to the number of
options; the donation interface should be as clean and unintimidating
as possible or we are in danger of alienating people right on the cusp
of acting as we would hope and wish.

Finally, we've just had an extensive Strategy process and the
community was involved. Regardless of what you think of the outcomes
(for me, I was disappointed that what came out was painted in broader
strokes than I had imagined and would have liked), if we were to now
say "actually, forget all that. Forget Strategy happened. Let's direct
our energies according to the flighty whims of someone who'd never
asked themselves a pertinent question until seeing a humungous list of
radio buttons pop up on their screen and clicked one of the first four
cos it sounded like a good thing and four is the limit of their
Twitterised attention span.

The Strategy Process was the community's way of influencing
priorities. Those priorities will need to be funded by the donations.
This ship has sailed.