On Mon, Oct 25, 2010 at 7:15 PM, George Herbert
<george.herb...@gmail.com> wrote:
> (suppressing grumbles about diff engine for edit conflicts, probably
> an algorithm rather than speed issue)

Diffs are fast enough if you use wikidiff2, no?

> I suspect that the MySQL engine is the one place where parallelism is
> most applicable, but I am not a MySQL internals guru.  However, there
> is one associated with the project, and I believe on the list.  Domas?

Yes, parallelism is very applicable to databases, which is why they've
already had tons of effort invested by people who know a lot more
about the topic than me, so I probably can't do much there.

To clarify, the subject needs to 1) be reasonably doable in a short
timeframe, 2) not build on top of something that's already too
optimized.  It should probably either be a new project; or an effort
to parallelize something that already exists, isn't parallel yet, and
isn't too complicated.  So far I have the password-cracking thing,
maybe dbzip2, and maybe some unspecified thing involving dumps.