2010/12/30 Neil Kandalgaonkar <ne...@wikimedia.org>

> On 12/29/10 7:26 PM, Tim Starling wrote:
>
> > Making editing easier could actually be counterproductive. If we let
> > more people past the editing interface barrier before we fix our
> > social problems,  [...]
>
> This is an interesting insight!

Yes it's really interesting and highlighting!

I'm following another talk about StringFunctions; and I recently got an
account into toolserver (I only hope that my skill is merely sufficient!).
In both cases, there's an issue of "security by obscurity". I hate it at
beginning, but perhaps such an approach is necessary, it's the simplest way
to get a very difficult result.

So, what's important is, the balance between simplicity and complexity,
since this turns out into a "contributor filter". At the beginning, wiki
markup has been designed to be very simple. A very important feature of
markup has been sacrificed: the code is not "well formed". There are lots of
simple, but ambiguous tags (for bold and italic characters, for lists); tags
don't need to be closed; text content and tags/attributes are mixed freely
into the template code. This makes simpler their use but causes terrible
quizzes  for advanced users facing with unusual cases or trying to parse
wikitext by scripts or converting wikitext into a formally well formed
markup. My question is: can we imagine to move a little bit that balance
accepting a little more complexity  and to think to a well formed wiki
markup?

Alex