On 12/30/10 10:24 AM, Platonides wrote:
> Neil Kandalgaonkar wrote:
>> At some point, if we believe our community is our greatest asset, we
>> have to think of Wikipedia as infrastructure not only for creating high
>> quality articles, but also for generating and sustaining a high quality
>> editing community.
>>
>> So we probably need an employee dedicated to this. (I think? Arguments?)
>
> He would be quite busy (and polyglot!) to keep an eye over the community
> of +800 projects.

Why is this a requirement?

If you think about the sum total of user-hours spent on Wikipedia, the
vast majority of them are spent in just three or four interface flows.

But you're right; they can't be everywhere, so maybe there should be a
guidelines page on design principles. We have WP:CIVILITY, do we have
similar guidelines for software developers, on how to make it easy for
the community to be civil?

Frankly I don't think I'm qualified to do this. I know of a few people
are brilliant at this, and who do this sort of thing for a living, but
they are consultants. Fostering community on the web is generally
considered a sort of black art... does anybody know of any less
mystified way of dealing with the problem?

--
Neil Kandalgaonkar (   <ne...@wikimedia.org>