Krinkle wrote:
> Before I respond to the recent new ideas, concepts and suggestions.
> I'd like to
> explain a few things about the backend (atleast the way it's currently
> planned to be)
>
> The mw_authors table contains unique authors by either a name or a
> userid.
> And optionally a custom attribution can be given (fallback to
> authorname, user real_name or user_name)
> Also optionally a url can be given (fallback to nothing or userpage).
>
> The mw_license table contains the different licenses a wiki allows to
> be used.
> Their canonical name (eg. "GFDL", "CC-BY-SA-3.0" etc.), url to legal
> code and usage count[1].
>
> mw_file_props is a table that keeps previous versions of file_props as
> well. And is linked to
> mw_revision by fp_id in rev_fileprops_id (like mw_text is linked in
> rev_text_id).
>
> Both authors and licenses are uniquely identified by their id. This
> makes it easy to change stuff later on
> in an AuthorManager (eg. different url, username change etc.). The
> texts and complete titles of the
> licenses are stored in interface messages (for internationalization).
> MediaWiki:License-<uniq>-text could
> for example contain {{Cc-by-sa-3.0|attribution=$2}} on Wikimedia
> Commons.
>
> -
>
> If we store the links in the wikitext (like {{#fileauthor:}} and
> {{#filelicense:}}, the advantages are basically
> two things:
> 1) It has all features of editing and revisioning (better history,
> edit conflict, diff view, etc.)
> 2) No need for a revisionized mw_file_props, we can store the current
> values in mw_page_props
>
> Possible down side is that a diff like
> - {{#fileauthor:2}} {{filelicense:12}}
> + {{#fileauthor:10}} {{#fileauthor:12}} {{#filelicense:
> doesn't mean very much. I.m.h.o The solution is not to store the
> actual names in wikitext so that
> the diffs are better, but to either not store it in wikitext at all,
> or customize the behaviour everywhere:

Why? Storing the property "filelicense: GPL" directly in wikitext is not
bad. It's also a relief when we want to delete licenses later.
Same with Author. Take that as a key into a NS_AUTHOR namespace.
Going to Special:LicenseManager/5 in order to change GPL license data is
just added complexity over using the short name "GPL".