On Sun, Apr 1, 2012 at 1:14 PM, Ryan Lane <rlan...@gmail.com> wrote:
> TL;DR: we have no plans for anonymous HTTPS by default, but will
> eventually default to HTTPS for logged-in users.
>
> 1. It would require an ssl terminator on every frontend cache. The ssl
> terminators eat memory, which is also what the frontend caches do.
> 2. HTTPS dramatically increases latency, which would be kind of
> painful for mobile.

Without getting into how other countries censor data (boo!) I agree
with the first two points.  SSL terminators are much more memory and
cpu intensive which would require many more machines.  Also there are
more RTT's required for https/ssl and our ping latency is not very
good since we do not have a very geographically diverse
infrastructure.

The two solutions for this are #1 more and beefier machines and #2
caching centers in various locations physically closer to users (which
also requires a lot of #1).  Sadly the biggest drawback of these two
points is that they both cost a lot of money and that would mean a lot
more pop up banners of Jimmy asking for cash :(

Leslie

P.S. I peronally like the idea of a cookie that you can check box at
the top of the page (one time showing only perhaps?) that would
default send users to https upon request.  However I don't think we
can do this with our current infrastructure due to the above issues.

> 3. Some countries may completely block HTTPS, but allow HTTP to our
> sites so that they can track users. Is it better for us to provide
> them content, or protect their privacy?
> 4. It's still possible for governments to see that people are going to
> wikimedia sites when using HTTPS, so it's still possible to oppress
> people for trying to visit sites that are disallowed.
>
> On Sun, Apr 1, 2012 at 7:06 PM, David Gerard <dger...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Lots of monitoring going into place:
>>
>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:List_of_articles_censored_in_Saudi_Arabia
>> http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-17576745
>>
>> What are the current technical barriers to redirection to https by default?
>>

>> - d.

Leslie Carr
Wikimedia Foundation
AS 14907, 43821