On 04/04/12 18:27, Svip wrote:
> My NaturalLanguageList extension[1] has been queued for code review
> since March 2010.[2]  And I still believe WMF wikis like Wiktionary
> and Commons would greatly benefit from such an extension.  At least
> until the Lua-wikicode thing gets worked out.

I think it's pretty likely that the Lua feature will be live before
NaturalLanguageList gets looked at again. NaturalLanguageList was not
sufficiently inspiring to get included in the roadmap.

On 04/04/12 19:06, Petr Bena wrote:
> My point is that if review of 15 lines of code, takes 6+ months, there
> is very likely a reason for improvement of current process, which may
> look as "working".

Larger things with more benefits tend to get a higher priority than
smaller things. So it's usually quicker to get 1500 lines of code
reviewed than 15.

In another post:
> Yes, in past it worked. I don't know what is broken now, but it
> apparently doesn't work anymore.

WMF basically hired every MediaWiki developer with a significant
amount of motivation and community trust, and then assigned
interesting projects to them all. The senior developers who used to
mentor community members and review contributed extensions now mentor
teams of employees and review code written internally.

"20% time" is an attempt to correct broader related trends, but
perhaps we need a more project-oriented approach within our 20% time
policy in order to encourage mentoring and start the pipeline of
contributed extensions moving again.

Personally, I've found it difficult to find the time and motivation to
bring projects such as VipsScaler and the Score extension through to
completion, even though I'm invested in them and personally care very
much about the problems they address.

-- Tim Starling