On Thu, Jul 26, 2012 at 11:27:44AM -0700, Rob Lanphier wrote:
> Nothing else has been advocated with a degree of seriousness as to warrant
> consideration at this point.  That's not to say we're done with those
> options; if someone wants to put together a serious proposal, there's still
> a little time.  However, in order to practically consider the alternatives,
> we need to have the serious proposals enumerated, and a credible plan for
> addressing any deficiencies.

I don't understand. I thought we were collecting problems and *ideas* on
how to solve them, not solid plans for a migration.

You're basically comparing two options that have little or no work
involved (not changing Gerrit, moving to an externally-maintained
service that most of us know how it works) vs. plans that need *time* to
install, play with and evaluate.

Has anyone been allocated to that task? I don't like either of the two
options but don't think I can just stop what I'm doing and spend a week
evaluating e.g. Gitlab, Barkeep and Phabricator just to present my
argument (or counterargument) to the Wiki page.

My understanding of the process was that we would collect a broad set of
arguments/ideas/proposals and people would be later assigned to the task
of evaluating them and proposing a viable solution and a migration path
(or not, and propose that we stay with Gerrit).

The wiki page seems to also imply something like that by saying:
   Brion Vibber will lead this evaluation, with help from Chad Horohoe
   and David Schoonover.

If it's me that misunderstood that's fine and I'm sorry. I'll just feel
a bit silly for trying to argue for an impossible outcome :)

Regards,
Faidon