On Fri, Jul 27, 2012 at 10:59 AM, Chad <innocentkil...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Jul 27, 2012 at 1:55 PM, Chris McMahon <cmcma...@wikimedia.org>
> wrote:
> > I realize this is all hand-wavy and stuff, but as Brion pointed out, it's
> > all git.  With some thought behind the design, a two-way integration
> > between gerrit and github seems like it would be possible and useful.
> >

> Yes, I agree wholeheartedly. The main reason I've been holding off
> on doing the replication yet is that the replication system was split
> off to a plugin for 2.5, so I was pretty much waiting on 2.5 to land so
> I didn't have to set it up twice. Once we've got 2.5 running, this will
> become a *top* priority for me in our Gerrit setup.

Yay!

> Pulling stuff back in is probably doable (and I've heard rumors it's
> been done), but will require more investment.

Cordova/PhoneGap hosts their primary repositories on Apache infrastructure,
but keeps github mirrors and accepts pull requests through them.

You don't actually need special tooling; they do it pretty bare-bones by
having the accepter pull the branch, merge and push it themselves:
http://wiki.apache.org/cordova/CommitterWorkflow

Taking a pull request, cleaning it up, and popping it into gerrit for its
final verification & +2 is at least no worse than taking a patch from
Bugzilla or direct mail and sticking it in -- but should preserve the
authorship info in the commit.

If we can devise tooling to make it even easier (paste in a pull request's
URL and say "go"), that could be spiffy though.

-- brion