On Fri, Jul 27, 2012 at 1:55 PM, Chris McMahon <cmcma...@wikimedia.org> wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 27, 2012 at 11:29 AM, Rob Lanphier <ro...@wikimedia.org> wrote:
>

>> I think our best mitigation strategy is to do as good a job as we possibly
>> can integrating Gerrit with GitHub, combined with other improvements to
>> Gerrit.
>>

> One thing I don't think has been explicitly said yet, although Brion hinted
> at it early on is the nature of the gerrit-github integration.  Gerrit
> serves the required workflow well for things like core and key extensions
> and puppet, so having changes made via gerrit reflected in a github view is
> great for outsiders to explore and experiment.
>
> But it would also be great, especially for certain types of community
> contributions, if we could approve pull requests from github and have those
> reflected in gerrit.
>
> I realize this is all hand-wavy and stuff, but as Brion pointed out, it's
> all git.  With some thought behind the design, a two-way integration
> between gerrit and github seems like it would be possible and useful.

Yes, I agree wholeheartedly. The main reason I've been holding off
on doing the replication yet is that the replication system was split
off to a plugin for 2.5, so I was pretty much waiting on 2.5 to land so
I didn't have to set it up twice. Once we've got 2.5 running, this will
become a *top* priority for me in our Gerrit setup.

Pulling stuff back in is probably doable (and I've heard rumors it's
been done), but will require more investment.

-Chad