Whee!

On 18.10.2012, 22:22 Asher wrote:

> Hi all,

> I'm excited to see that Max has made a lot of great progress in
> adding Solr support to the GeoData extension so that we don't have
> to use mysql for spatial search -
> https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/#/c/27610/

> GeoData makes use of the Solarium php client, which is currently
> included as a part of the extension.  GeoData will be our second use
> of Solar, after TranslationMemory extension which is already
> deployed -
> https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Help:Extension:Translate/Translation_memories
> and the Wikidata team is working on using Solr in their extensions as well.

A little comment on my choice of client library: I initially tried to use
http://php.net/solr but quickly dicovered that it lacks many features,
e.g. core support.

> TranslationMemory also uses Solarium, a copy of which is also
> bundled with and loaded from the extension.  For a loading and
> config example -
> https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/gitweb?p=operations/mediawiki-config.git;a=blob;f=wmf-config/CommonSettings.php;h=1e7a0e24dcbea106042826474607ec065d328472;hb=HEAD#l2407

> I think Solr is the right direction for us to go in.  Current
> efforts can pave the way for a complete refresh of WMF's article
> full text search as well as how our developers approach information
> retrieval.

We still need a Java developer to port our custom Lucene code to
Solr in order to use Solr for wiki search.

>  We just need to make sure that these efforts are
> unified, with commonality around the client api, configuration,
> indexing (preferably with updates asynchronously pushed to Solr in
> near real-time), and schema definition.  This is important from an
> operational aspect as well, where it would be ideal to have a single
> distributed and redundant cluster.

I've already discussed with Niklas the possibility of moving Solarium
to a shared extension to keep things centralised. Guess we just need a
repo set up to move forward.

> It would be great to see the i18n, mobile tech, wikidata, and any
> other interested parties collaborate and agree on a path forward,
> with a quick sprint around common code that all can use.

+1000000

--
Best regards,
  Max Semenik ([[User:MaxSem]])