On 01/17/2013 02:38 PM, Chris McMahon wrote:
They are ready to start. Next week.

Keep in mind that we're migrating data centers next week and all the
Wikipedias will be subject to intermittent read-only access and possibly
other issues.  Hopefully we'll be stable by Thursday.

That is a good point. But even more important is to decide what is the testing environment.

VisualEditor looks like the primary goal, having Milkshake as secondary
option for whoever feels more interested.

To the best of my knowledge the only publicly accessible page for VE exists
at http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/VisualEditor:Test, and I believe one might
have to have special rights to edit that page.

marktraceur points to

http://ve-change-marking.instance-proxy.wmflabs.org/wiki/Main_Page

Currently runs an old version but he volunteers to update it whenever we want run the sprint.

Of course we can do further outreach, but the Wikipedias alone should
already provide the critical mass of contributors, right?

By what mechanism?

- Coordinating with wikitech-ambassadors

- Reaching out to the communities of the languages we consider priority (equivalent villagePumps, mailing lists, maybe wise use of CentralNotice if the communities of those projects agree).

- Regular @MediaWiki news & social media channels, asking @Wikipedia to RT.

Then we need to define the right environment for testing. Is it a fresh
install in Labs? Something else?

I would love to see VE widely enabled in beta labs.  I suspect that is a
non-trivial project.

Answered above.

The sprint could be on Thursday, starting in Asian friendly times since
this is where most of the potential testers will be based.

Seems risky to me.   Others might know differently.

If next week is too soon and the datacenter migration complicates things, then we shoulkd be able to do this the other week. I hope there wouldn't be any reason to delay further.

And that would fit the slot of Jan 30 that was left empty by Echo.

--
Quim Gil
Technical Contributor Coordinator @ Wikimedia Foundation