On 02/21/2013 04:13 AM, Siebrand Mazeland (WMF) wrote:
> B. Who is MediaWiki's release manager, and what can we expect of the person
> who has that role?

I had a conversation with Maria Miteva (Robla at least got copies of
these emails) last week when she asked if I was planning on doing the
release of MW 1.21 and whether
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/MediaWiki_1.21 could point to me as the
release manager for MediaWiki.

I told her I was still planning on doing that release, probably shortly
before going to Amsterdam.

I think a lot of the confusion here (including my own) comes from the
decisions that have been made outside of the Foundation surrounding the
future of MediaWiki itself.

As these decisions have been made (LTS, MW's Release Schedule, etc.), it
appears that the Foundation has become more focused on its goals --
Wikipedia and its sister sites -- and less concerned with the logistics
of MediaWiki outside of the Foundations use.

As Siebrand pointed out, this seems to extend to the description of the
duties of the newly hired release manager.

Absent an explicit statement from anyone inside Foundation, we've been a
bit confused.

So, I'll WP:Bold and answer Siebrand's question: I am MediaWiki's
release manager.  Here is what you can expect of me:

* Manage the release schedule.  At least initially, I will be making
  the releases.

* Work to get bugfixes backported to 1.19.  I don't have Gerrit
  rights to commit to the REL1_19 branch, but that will keep me from
  fixing "bugs" by fiat.

* Champion features that non-WMF users want.  This includes things like
  searching inside a category and a WYSIWYG editor.

* Work with community members to triage non-security bugs in released
  versions of MediaWiki.

Is there something else the MW release manager should be doing?  Let me
know.

Is there anyone in the WMF who disagrees with this assessment?  Now is
the time to speak up.

Mark

--
http://hexmode.com/

There is no path to peace. Peace is the path.
   -- Mahatma Gandhi, "Non-Violence in Peace and War"