I'd like to see MediaWiki gain a more stable release process as well. I
think some of the primary things that we're lacking are:

   - Where is QA? I mean, I know somewhere somebody is probably doing some
   sort of testing, but having worked as a QA engineer I haven't seen anything
   in MW that would resemble proper and traditional testing (excluding the
   unit testing). Where's the list of test cases that need to be performed for
   each release? How can one make new test cases and add them? etc. Maybe this
   already exists, but if it does it's definitely not documented well enough.
   - Stable sets of expected release features. In most companies I've
   worked in, every single bug upon being reported is immediately scheduled
   for a release, even if it just means deferring it to an unknown "Future
   Release". But doing a quick search in Bugzilla shows MW has 5000+ bugs that
   are not scheduled, some of which are even high priority bugs. I've probably
   said this before, but it'd be good if consumers knew beforehand what they
   may expect in the next MW release (even if it's only tentative) so that
   they can debate whether or not to prepare for an upgrade. I've been told
   before that that's what the release notes are for, but that's not the
   point. Release notes currently only include stuff that's already done.
   - Faster review process. This is something that's not at all easy, and I
   know many are aware, but it takes a while to get reviews. I mean, there are
   people like me who get notifications for every new change in gerrit, and
   thus I'll see everything even if I wasn't added as a reviewer, but not
   everybody does that, which leaves the question of how to get your stuff
   reviewed and who to go to. There's a list of MW.org that has some people,
   but I've found it's usually not helpful until you're more involved and
   actually know who those people are.

Other than those process issues, there are a few feature issues that IMO I
think are holding people back:

   - As said, DB support, especially for high-use systems like Postgres and
   MSSQL.
   - Enterprise platforms. What if I want to deploy MW onto AWS or VMWare?
   Many companies have pre-packaged systems for this. For example, at the
   company I'm working at now, deploying their product to AWS is as easy as
   copying the ID number into the web GUI and clicking deploy. Also, is there
   any tracking on HipHop support?
   - Non-PHP. This is probably far off in the future, but eventually it'd
   be nice to be able to setup MW without having to deal with PHP at all,
   i.e., have a configuration file in YAML or something. Even PHP frameworks
   like Symfony have abstracted out the PHP, and that's a case where you're
   actually developing *in* PHP. :P

*--*
*Tyler Romeo*
Major in Computer Science