Tyler Romeo wrote:
>That is not a good comparison whatsoever. There's *no way* I or anybody
>else has the time or patience to sort through a thousand line plain text
>file, with automated bot messages, every day just to see if an important
>conversation was missed. And even if the IRC logs were in some nice pretty
>format, it's still inconvenient to have to check an additional site. Also,
>it doesn't allow you to continue the discussion, whereas in the mailing
>list you can always just reply.
>
>IRC should only be used for what it's specifically made for: realtime
>chat, i.e., when you need a question answered now or when the delayed
>email style messaging isn't enough. For anything else that doesn't fit in
>that category, stick to the mailing list.

Hi.

I think you're only allowed to extol the virtues of mailing lists once you
learn to properly post to one. ;-)  When you have a free minute, please
read and digest <https://wiki.toolserver.org/view/Mailing_list_etiquette>.

A general debate about asynchronous v. synchronous communication methods
probably isn't needed here today. Both are hugely valuable to the
Wikimedia and MediaWiki communities. And both participants in this
conversation seem to be overlooking the canonical form of Wikimedia
interpersonal communication: posting to the wiki.

MZMcBride