On Sat, Mar 2, 2013 at 9:08 AM, Antoine Musso <hashar+...@free.fr> wrote:
> Le 01/03/13 14:37, Yuri Astrakhan wrote:
>> The
>> proposal<http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Requests_for_comment/RELEASE-NOTES_bot>is
>> for a bot to parse commit message for special "commands" to add some
>> text to specific sections of the release-notes file. When bot detects a
>> master merge, it will pull the latest release-notes, change it, and merge
>> it to master right away, avoiding any conflicts.
>>
>> If the bot messes up, or if a more complex file edit is needed, we can do
>> it through the regular git/gerrit process.
>
> So instead of us just writing to the RELEASE-NOTES we will instead have
> to pass commands to yet another unstable bot that will do it for us?
>
> What is the added values beside adding overhead to the process?

I don't like the idea of a bot doing this. Nor do I think writing release
notes at commit time works well either (too many stupid conflicts).

Most other groups using Gerrit that I know of tend to write their
release notes right before releases. Sometime shortly before
a release, they'll go through a full change of putting the release
notes together. Then if any other things are done before the
release, you just submit another commit to it.

See:
https://gerrit-review.googlesource.com/#/c/39210/ and then
https://gerrit-review.googlesource.com/#/c/42790/ and
https://gerrit-review.googlesource.com/#/c/42671/

I don't see a huge problem in going this direction ourselves.

-Chad