On Mon, 04 Mar 2013 17:03:58 +0100, Tim Landscheidt <t...@tim-landscheidt.de>
wrote:

Bartosz Dziewoński <matma....@gmail.com> wrote:

I wrote a very simple one some time ago, in Ruby.
https://github.com/MatmaRex/mediawikireleasenotes-driver

It doesn't really work. There are enough changes that are not simple additions
that it solves no more than about 30% conflics for me. Maybe that rate could be
improved using, like, a real algorithm for merging; but the naive solution
doesn't really work.

[...]

Let's add your driver to
http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Git/Workflow#Build_failed_due_to_merge_conflict.

Please go ahead if you think it's worth it. I didn't because in general I
deemed the result not good enough, and when the automatic merge fails, you lose
the information about branches being merged (try it).

I think it's probably preferable to have a separate file for
the driver itself and manual installation instructions as
otherwise people will just complain
"mediawikireleasenotes-driver-installer.sh didn't work for
my setup!!11!", but that's no blocker.

I can't imagine a setup where it wouldn't just work (other than you not running
the installer inside a .git directory). And sharing the file + instructions
insted of the installer is a big can of worms. (Where do you store the .rb
driver file? Where do you add the entry for merging RELEASE-NOTES? Which config
do you edit? How? git has a lot of options for all these things...)

--
Matma Rex