> I don't like the idea of a bot doing this. Nor do I think writing release
>  notes at commit time works well either (too many stupid conflicts).

What's the issue with a bot appending a few lines to a release-notes
section if it sees it the commit message? But yes, release-notes conflicts
are a major pain and kills the streamlined patching workflow -
submit->review->merge, frequently requiring extra "->fix->review" steps
right before merge.

> Most other groups using Gerrit that I know of tend to write their
> release notes right before releases. Sometime shortly before
> a release, they'll go through a full change of putting the release
> notes together. Then if any other things are done before the
> release, you just submit another commit to it.

Might not work well with so many committers and no strict central project
management. It will become a big burden to go through all commits and pull
out all relevant release-notes (actually doing what the bot will be doing,
only in a non-automated fashion because the commit messages won't be as
structured). But if someone is willing to do that... sure, why not :)