On 03/21/2013 02:55 AM, Niklas Laxström wrote:
I've seen a couple of instances where changes to MediaWiki are blocked
until someone informs the community.

Someone is a volunteer.

Community is actually just the Wikimedia project communities. Or at
least the biggest ones which are expected to complain and where the
complaining would hurt.

This situation seems completely unfair to me. WMF should be able to
communicate upcoming changes itself, not throw it to volunteers.
Volunteers can help, but they should not be responsible for this to
happen.

Can you point to the changes blocked, or to anything that would give a better idea to those of us that don't know what are the cases you are talking about?

I agree with the principle, but without more details it is difficult to help fixing the problem.

--
Quim Gil
Technical Contributor Coordinator @ Wikimedia Foundation