On 03/21/2013 11:48 AM, Isarra Yos wrote:
Unfortunately I didn't have any idea when such a change could or would
be merged or deployed, so not only did I not have any timeframe to give
said the communities, I didn't even know when it would be appropriate to
tell them (if it happens months later, mentioning now would not be very
helpful) - or even if it ever would really happen at all.

This is so clear that anybody will understand it.

I believe mentioning potential problems when you see them coming is always helpful. Do it in the related bug report and share the URL with the affected parties e.g. at wikitech-ambassadors. Invite them to follow the bug to have the same information than you, at the same time than you, with the same chances of giving feedback and participating than you.

Ideally, by the time a deployment date can be decided they will be the ones communicating with their own communities. Otherwise you can simply go and say "Remember what we told you (link)? Ok, it's coming now."

--
Quim Gil
Technical Contributor Coordinator @ Wikimedia Foundation